Re[2]: Introduction + Hobbies on Resumes/CVs

Subject: Re[2]: Introduction + Hobbies on Resumes/CVs
From: DIGEST Paul Moloney <pmoloney -at- TELECOM -dot- IE>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 1994 12:33:50 GMT

Erik Harris <ewh -at- PLAZA -dot- DS -dot- ADP -dot- COM> says:
>Paul Moloney sez, in part:

>>There is always the danger, of course, that some personnel managers
>>might regard extracurricular activities as a sign of a frivolous
>>mind. You should be working! :)

>This is kind of silly when you think about it--as you said, your
>extracurriculars are relevant to the job, and you ought to be able to
>explain as much if an employer reacts otherwise.

Hmm, well, I have had the opposite experience, where a prospective employer
asked would I consider giving up such extracurricular activities upon
employment. I like having a life, and told them so. (Well, OK, I didn't
_exactly_ put it in those terms, I'll admit). When I received a rejection
letter soon afterwards, I didn't exactly cry my eyes out. Someone else might
have taken that as a lesson _not_ to put their interests on their CV, but I
feel that if that is the employer's attitude, then I certainly wouldn't be
happy working there.

>On the other hand, employers do have very sensitive bullshit detectors when
>it comes to padded resumes--so draw your lines carefully when deciding what
>extras to leave in and what to leave out.

Well, any who cares to can peruse my hyperlinked CV at

http://www.scrg.cs.tcd.ie/scrg/guests/pmoloney.html

Any hints and tips would be gratefully received. :)

P.