Guilty as charged, BUT...

Subject: Guilty as charged, BUT...
From: Patrick O'Connell <patricko -at- EICON -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 1994 10:43:00 PST

>>Date: Mon, 14 Nov 1994 18:50:37 EST
>>From: "Larry Kunz ((919) 254-6395)" <ldkunz -at- VNET -dot- IBM -dot- COM>
<snip snip snip>
>>I was with you, in fact, right up to the end, when I saw the big
>>brick, or whatever it is, you use for a signature. That puppy,
>>all by itself, consumes 515 bytes -- a smidge over 1/2 K -- of
>>precious hard drive. Ridiculous, indeed! :-)

OK, Larry's got me dead to rights. But allow me to plead for leniency as one
of the (apparently numerous) highly creative and highly frustrated technical
writers in this forum. Hell, I've got to do SOMETHING with all this drive!
There are at least two substantial collections of ASCII art hanging around
the Net; believe me, my "brick" is a paragon of restraint compared to some
of the signatures in there!

Also, I believe there are worse signature-size offenders on this list with
respect to signature size. If I'm wrong, well, fortunately I *am* wearing my
asbestos longjohns today. I hope everyone's got more important things to do
in their lives than expend the considerable time necessary to prove me
wrong, if I am.

Finally, disk space consumed needlessly -- by WHATEVER -- is really only a
consideration if you save your mailing-list digests like I do (trust me, the
size of my mail-folder file is making me reconsider this policy). What is
*always* wasted with over-quoting, overly long signatures, etc. is
*bandwidth*. The shorter your posting, the less processor time it consumes
at each of the Net nodes it must pass through, and the faster *everybody's*
stuff gets where it's going.

Cheers,
Pat

Patrick Brian O'Connell | Intermediate Writer,Eicon Technology
These are my opinions, not | Corporation / (B) 514-631-9825 x2482
Eicon Technology's. | Net: (B) patricko -at- eicon -dot- com