What else to tech. communicators do?

Subject: What else to tech. communicators do?
From: "Fisher, Julie" <fisjl -at- SMTP -dot- VUT -dot- EDU -dot- AU>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 1994 10:12:00 EST

I am really interested in this topic, not as a practioner but as an
interested researcher in the area of tech communication and systems
development. I would also be interested in what other things tech
communicators do apart from writing. I know there is more to the job such
as talking with users about the system (user advocate), training, managing
the change process etc. Your comments would really help clarify the picture
for me.

Julie Fisher
Dept Business Computing
Victoria University of Technology, Melbourne
FISJL -at- SMTP -dot- VUT -dot- EDU -dot- AU
----------
From: TECHWR-L
To: Multiple recipients of list TECHWR-L
Subject: Re: **Defining Tech Comm**
Date: Tuesday, November 15, 1994 9:00AM

Jeff,

This is certainly not to say that your definition is wrong, but there is
another way of looking at technical communication.

Rather than a sender packaging a message that causes reaction in the
receiver, many contemporary theorists view communication (including
technical communication) as a kind of transaction between two people.
That is, the both the writer and the reader both take an active role in
the process, and the meaning that is communicated is created by the
reader as well as by the writer.

Dave Farkas
Dept. of Technical Communication
University of Washington