Re: Jargon file ...

Subject: Re: Jargon file ...
From: Patrick O'Connell <patricko -at- EICON -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 1994 10:37:00 PST

The 2.9.12 version of the Jargon File exists in WinHelp format and is so far
the only WinHelp version I know of. I believe the ASCII (original) version
of Jargon has only proceeded one version (to 2.9.13) beyond the one WinHelp
version, which is at:

SITE: ftp.cica.indiana.edu (129.79.26.27) and mirror sites (there are
multiple Cica mirror sites in North America and at least one in many othe
countries)
DIRECTORY: /pub/pc/win3/misc
FILE: jrg2912w.zip

Having unzipped this file (use PKUNZIP or anything compatible) you need only
the 3.x version of WINHELP.EXE, which comes with all copies of Windows 3.x.

Dave's suspicions are correct: Jargon is both extremely useful as a partial
dictionary of computer-industry terminology AND addictively interesting to
read if the etymology of hacker slang and/or hacker culture fascinates you.
If it does, don't start reading it at work -- especially in the morning. The
next time you look up the building will be empty, the cleaners will have
left and you'll have to build a makeshift bed out of pneumatic chair backs
and that weird cloth they cover cubicle partitions with. ; - )

Patrick Brian O'Connell
Intermediate Writer, Eicon Technology Corporation
patricko -at- eicon -dot- com
----------
>>From: dave
>>To: Patrick O'Connell
>>Subject: Jargon file ...
>>Date: Wednesday, November 16, 1994 8:44AM
>>
>>Hi.
>>
>>You mentioned in a recent TECHWR-L posting something called the Jargon
>>file, as a Winhelp file:
[snip snip snip]
>>I've never heard of this (only recently getting FTP access to the net)
>>and I was wondering if you recall where you got this. It sounds neat
>>and potentially useful (it would be really neat if it existed as WINHELP
>>source files that I could add my own terms to)...
>>
>>Thanks if you do remember, nice talking to you if you don't. :-)
[snip snip snip]