Re: Future of Technical Writing

Subject: Re: Future of Technical Writing
From: Sharon Toll <SHARONT -at- LEONARDO -dot- LMT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 1994 11:13:09 CST6CDT

V. Rosenzweig wrote:

<snip>
>the software had to be trained to work with the individual user (unlike a
>keyboard, where anyone can press the "t" key and get a t) and would then
>react badly to someone else. He brought it home and let me try it at one
>point, and I wrote a word with a double t in it: the system interpreted
>this as a capital H (because the lines (and order of lines) he used
>for H were very close to what I used for tt, and there was no good
>way to correct it.

I just read an article in MacWeek about a product called User Picker (from
Stand Alone Software). The software creates password-protected user profiles
that contain individual handwriting styles. This allows a number of
individuals to use the same device.

>also note that I don't think I'm ususual in being able to type
>signicantly faster than I can handwrite.)

I used to have beautiful handwriting! It has fallen off considerably since I
began using the keyboard extensively. There also seems to be a correlation
between my thought process and the keyboard. Sometimes with pen in hand, I
can't even form a sentence.

However, all of this can be re-learned (or is that unlearned?)

Sharon Toll LaserMaster Corporation
<sharont -at- leonardo -dot- lmt -dot- com> Eden Prairie, Minnesota