Re: Icons for Cautions, Warnings

Subject: Re: Icons for Cautions, Warnings
From: Ray Bruman <rbruman -at- RND -dot- RAYNET -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 1994 13:35:57 PST

> For cautions we use an exclamation point inside an inverted triangle.

> For warnings we use a lightning bolt inside a triangle.

> Some of the compliance engineers say there is no recognized symbol for caution

> and that we are misusing the warning symbol by inverting the triangle.

> ISO recommends a triangle for a general safety alert. The symbol inside the
> triangle is specific to the danger. I couldn't find any symbol cautions.

How can someone see the ISO standard symbols?

I'd appreciate it if someone would post the ISO book's bibliographical
information. I have immediate need; this week I'm helping to judge
entries in the STC Northern California Publications Competition.

Some document designers have "gotten creative" with logos fashioned
partially after the ISO symbols. I strongly recommend against this.
I'd like to point them to a standard reference.

Thanks in advance.

Ray Bruman In this establishment,
Raynet Corp. we DO NOT DISCUSS
rbruman -at- raynet -dot- com race, religion, politics,
415-688-2325 or nutrition.