Re: Job fairs

Subject: Re: Job fairs
From: Marc Santacroce <santa -at- TFS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 1994 10:10:57 -0800

At 8:39 11/17/94 -0500, Richard Lippincott wrote:
>I attended three or four job fairs in the Metro Boston area last fall and
>winter. They match Barb Philbrick's description: lots of people in dark
>suits waiting in line to shake hands. Most of the encounters turned into
>"Okay, but here's my resume in case you need tech writer's in the future."

>I don't know of anyone who has found employment through a job fair. One
>company representative claimed to have hired a tech writer from a contact
>at the previous job fair, but I've got reasons to think he was just handing
>me a line.

>To be honest, the only good thing I ever got out of job fairs was the ability
>to satisfy Massachusetts unemployment requirements, by making the week's quota
>of contacts in one night.

>Rick Lippincott
>Eaton Semiconductor
>rlippinc -at- bev -dot- etn -dot- com

I still think there is some benefit to going to joib fairs. It's a great
way to see what requirements employers are asking for of their engineers
and program,mers. Gives you a clue of what you might need to study. Also
gives a good exposure to the type technical person you will be dealing with
when you do land that position. And, it's a practice 30 sec interview for
you to be able to succinctly state who you aare, what you do, and what you
are looking for.

Regards,

Marc

Technical Writer/Trainer
TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
300 Lakeside Dr.
Oakland, CA 94612-3540
santa -at- tfs -dot- com santacroce -at- aol -dot- com

"Better to be judged by twelve, than carried by six"