Re: Make it pretty

Subject: Re: Make it pretty
From: Shelly LaRock <smlarock -at- MTU -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 1994 14:25:31 EST

Make it pretty? I remember the first time someone told
me to do this. One of the programmers I was working with
was reviewing a manual I had written and said the screen
shots weren't very pleasant to look at, and he said (and
I quote), "Can't you make this look better? You know,
make it prettier."

Ha! Ha! Ha! The hilarious part of this, is that he was
one of the programmers responsible for designing what the
screens looked like. So I just explained to him that
the users have to know what the screen is supposed to look
like, and if I put some flowers and a nice border on it,
they might get confused. He quickly realized that he
was asking for something unrealistic, and laughed about
it later. He even came back with a drawing he did of one
of the screens with a few flowers and smiley faces drawn on
it with a message that said to keep up the good work.

Hey, I'm done with finals, so I had a bit of free time.
Happy Turkey Day to all of you U.S. folks!

Shelly La Rock
smlarock -at- mtu -dot- edu
Michigan Tech University