Re: Punctuation names (...catch that peeve!)

Subject: Re: Punctuation names (...catch that peeve!)
From: Laura Johnson <lauraj -at- CND -dot- HP -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 1994 23:52:46 GMT

Aahz (aahz -at- netcom -dot- com) wrote:
: Not to pick on Gill, but as a programmer and tech support engineer, it
: makes my job much more difficult when people don't use standard names
: for punctuation. "()" are parentheses, "{}" are braces, "[]" are
: brackets, and "<>" are angle brackets.

My favorite terms for these, in order, are "parentheses", "curly braces",
"square brackets", and "angle brackets". More syllables, yes, but
almost completely unambiguous. (Of course, in documentation, I show
what I'm talking about. "Enclose the name of the file in brackets:
[foo.c]"

--
Laura Johnson
lauraj -at- fc -dot- hp -dot- com