Re: e-mail

Subject: Re: e-mail
From: Lori Lathrop <76620 -dot- 456 -at- COMPUSERVE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 1994 13:44:16 EST

Chris -- Here are my answers to your questions:

(1) My e-mail correspondence with some clients tends to be rather
formal and, with other clients and online friends, it tends
to be informal. BTW, those little faces are called emoticons
or smiley faces, and I use them only in informal e-mail notes.

(2) IMHO, a less formal style is encroaching on the more traditional
methods of communication. It seems that spelling and grammar do
sometimes suffer; perhaps it's because the nature of e-mail
causes people to be in too much of a hurry when they compose
their correspondence. Also, many e-mail programs lack spell-
checking features.

(3) Speaking for myself, e-mail has replaced many memos and phone
calls. It's the way I communicate with most of my clients. It
is less expensive than a phone call and, usually, it is more
convenient for my clients as well as for me because we can
exchange e-mail whenever we find the time (often at odd hours).
For that reason, I generally get the information I need sooner
than I would if I'd sent "snail mail" or left a phone message.

Good luck with your paper. Hope this helps.

Lori Lathrop ---------> INTERNET:76620 -dot- 456 -at- compuserve -dot- com
Lathrop Media Services
P.O. Box 808
Georgetown, CO 80444