Presentations

Subject: Presentations
From: "Nancy S. Burns" <nburns -at- NOAO -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 1994 13:40:09 -0825

Experience tells me that one effective way to get the word out about what
technical communicators have to offer is to give a presentation.

Last week, my manager announced that our instrument team, of which I am a
member, was scheduled to undergo a safety review of our installation
procedures this week. I quickly mentioned that the procedures I had been
working on could demonstrate one way that we were addressing safety issues.
He assigned me the task of giving a brief presentation during the safety
review. (I was one of 4 people to present.)

Presentations are not my favorite activity -- like many others, I feel
self-conscious in front of an audience. But I knew this was one way to
reinforce my professional credibility while also benefiting the project.

I tailored my 10-minute presentation to my audience, hit on a few key
points, and then showed how I applied those points with sample procedures.

When the project director requested copies of the overheads and samples to
pass on to his management, I knew that something positive had happened -
aside from a pure sense of relief!

How about you? Can you share some positive presenting experiences?

Nancy S. Burns, Technical Writer
National Solar Observatory
Tucson, Arizona
e-mail: nburns -at- noao -dot- edu