Re[3]: women and men (was Re: Hey, take it easy!)

Subject: Re[3]: women and men (was Re: Hey, take it easy!)
From: "Virginia L. Krenn" <asdxvlk -at- OKWAY -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 1994 14:50:52 -0600

One could probably more readily use "one" than "it".

Along this same line, if you saw a bovine animal at a distance and
could not determine whether it was a bull, cow, steer, or heifer,
would you call it one head of cattle?

Author: "Arlen P. Walker" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- jci -dot- com> at SMTP

While "it" is the singular genderless pronoun provided by English, it also
carries a depersonalizing connotation, so I won't use it about a person
(except as an insult -- not good, I know, but even *I* have my cranky days).