Sherri Hall's class

Subject: Sherri Hall's class
From: Megan Douglas <138 -dot- 87 -dot- 1 -dot- 2 -at- RS6000 -dot- CMP -dot- ILSTU -dot- EDU>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 1994 17:39:02 -0600

I teach an English 101 course for inexperienced writers. They participte
in peer revisions/critiques. I find this method for writing analysis is
particularly fruitful as the students both receive feedback on their work
as well as learn how to critically examine someone's writing.

Initially, my students were not thrilled about critiquing someone's work or
sharing their prose with peers. I brought in hacked copies of my thesis
proposal to illustrate the point that all writers need to correct or alter
most texts. This seemed to reassure them.

Also, if the students are more comfortable if the classroom environment is
interactive. The more they interact with one another, the better the peer
critiques.

Students also like the benefit of having someone to help them address
issues in their papers before I review them and slap on a letter grade.

I find that the peer critiques have gone over very well in our class.

Good luck
Tracie