Mom Has Stayed Quite Long Enough

Subject: Mom Has Stayed Quite Long Enough
From: "Kevin S. Wilson" <Jewkes -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 1994 13:15:40 -0500

Try as I might, I cannot see how this discussion of "mom" versus "mommy" has
anything to do with technical communication.

Surely there is a list devoted to regionalisms, dialects, and other such
language issues. I respectfully suggest, then, that anyone endlessly
fascinated by such matters seek out that list and leave this list to matters
more relevant to technical communication.

I pay for my online time, and I'm tired of spending money to delete trivial,
irrelevant, and banal messages.

We can all help to make the best use of this list by:

1. Asking ourselves whether the message we wish to post will be of interest
to the majority of users.

2. Responding by individual e-mail when appropriate to do so, rather than
posting a message to the entire list.

3. Using existing reference works (such as style guides and handbooks) to
answer simple questions about grammar, spelling, punctuation, and usage.

Kevin S. Wilson (Jewkes -at- aol -dot- com)
Program in Technical Communication
Boise State University
1910 University Dr
Boise, ID 83725