Measuring Doc. Quality?

Subject: Measuring Doc. Quality?
From: Karen Mayberry <LRSSPFLD!LRS!MAYBERRY -at- LRSMAIL -dot- ATTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 1994 09:12:00 +0000

Hey, Everyone!

I am a consulting manager, responsible for user and
technical documentation. I am trying to identify a more
(okay, so *more* presupposes that we actually do it
now, which isn't really the case) effective way to
measure the quality and functionality of our
documentation (primarily software doc). One of the
methods I'm looking into is function points.

Our company recently purchased the LBMS Methodology,
and I am responsible for developing a documentation
template, including guidelines and techniques. As a
result of this task, I am working closely with our chief
methodologist. We have discussed using function points
(although we assume that we would have to assign
arbitrary values) since that has worked well on application
development projects in the past.

Has anyone used function points to measure the quality
of documentation, and do you have any advice for
getting started? I am interested in any other metrics (for
measuring quality only). I would appreciate any comments,
suggestions, or recommendations you could give me.

Thanks!

Karen Mayberry
Levi, Ray & Shoup, Inc.
Springfield, IL
217-793-3800, x. 713
Lrsmail!Lrsspfld!Lrs!Mayberry -at- Attmail -dot- com