Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 21 Nov 1994 to 22 Nov 1994

Subject: Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 21 Nov 1994 to 22 Nov 1994
From: Kathy Moore <kkm -at- IRIS132 -dot- BIOSYM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 1994 09:33:54 -0800

Date: Wed, 23 Nov 1994 13:53:12 +0800
From: Yuk-Lin Ong <yuklin -at- TECH -dot- SINGALAB -dot- COM -dot- SG>
Subject: hot spot?

Yuk-Lin Ong asked:

<<What is the technical term for this:
the exact position/spot on a page that is a hypertext target.

<<The product developers on my team call it a _hot spot_.
When I look up dictionaries and glossaries, _hot spot_ seems to be
connected to a cursor point.

<<The following expands on my first paragraph:
A hypertext "apple", when double-clicked, will take the user directly to
the definition or paragraph on "apple" on the page, let's say "Garden
Fruits". This is not the behavior of some hypertext systems, where
clicking on "apple" will bring the user to the top of the page "Garden
Fruits".>>

I believe you are referring to a "link" (the apple on which one clicks)
and its "anchor" (the spot on the page where one ends up). These terms
are discussed in The Beginner's Guide to HTML, available at URL
http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/General/Internet/WWW/HTMLPrimer.html, and in
other HTML primers available on WWW.

--Kathy

Kathy Kearney Moore kkm -at- biosym -dot- com
Technical Writer Phone: 619-458-9990
Biosym Technologies Fax: 619-458-0136