Re: PC inanities (flame alert)

Subject: Re: PC inanities (flame alert)
From: Kat Nagel <KatNagel -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 1994 10:22:22 -0500

Virginia Krenn wrote:
> Chairperson does serve a purpose. For example, it is better to
> announce that it is time to elect a new chairperson than to limit the
> election to one sex or the other.

Karen Kay replied
>But what purpose does it serve that cannot be better served by 'chair'?

WARNING>>>typical last-night-of-a-too-short-work-week diatribe follows:

Aw, c'mon. 'Chair' is a thing, not a person. I _do_ use 'chair'
(reluctantly) because I can't think of an alternative that won't get me
roasted. But I'm _not_ happy about it. Electing a chair seems a darned
silly thing to do. What if I preferred to elect a sofa? And I *know* Arlen
would vote for the piano bench or the porch swing. (Please note, I
maintained internal functional consistency in my examples.)

Grrrr. This whole topic is making my feminist-but-RATIONAL blood fry. I
_know_ the issue of appropriate language is important in our work, and
therefore a suitable topic for this list, but let's suspend the subject for a
day or two, huh?

Watched any good Technical Communications movies lately? Wanna come over an'
see my clip art? (I think I need a break.)
@kat katnagel -at- aol -dot- com
LAW OF THERMODYNAMICS: Heat flows from a warmer body to a
cooler body---except in the case of a cat. ALL heat flows to the cat.
====from "Cat Physics" by Mendenhall====