Re: Documentation Estimates

Subject: Re: Documentation Estimates
From: Coleen MacKay <cmackay -at- BNA -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 1994 12:19:35 EST

Rick,

I think that indexing figure you refer to is for the
work of a human indexer. 5 pages per hour is about right.
No indexing utility provides anywhere near as useful or
comprehensive an index as a trained human indexer can.

(Yes, I have been an indexer for several years, and have
just recently taken up tech writing. I have now officially
de-lurked.

BTW, many of the issues discussed on this list about getting
respect for the profession are common laments of indexers.
Creating a good index requires training and experience.)

Coleen MacKay
cmackay -at- bna -dot- com

>> Chuck Martin commented on these figures:
snip

>> Indexing: 5 pages per hour

Rick Lippincott asked: