Re: Passive voice

Subject: Re: Passive voice
From: Michael Gos <GOS -at- DT3 -dot- DT -dot- UH -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 1994 12:28:45 -0600

It is interesting to see all the negative responses about passive voice. Seems
just a dozen or so years ago that all tech writing was done in passive. Change
is good!! But let me address those who say "never".

Perhaps we should say, use passive voice only when you have a good reason for
using passive voice. A common reason would be when you want to remove humans
from the discussion (to not point blame, etc.). Passive allows you to
discusses the issue "personlessly"
Ex: The HPI pump was turned off. (We kept Frederick out of the discussion)

Michael