Re: Is passive voice ever OK?

Subject: Re: Is passive voice ever OK?
From: Vicki Rosenzweig <murphy!acmcr!vr -at- UUNET -dot- UU -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 1994 09:09:31 EST

"XYZ software is considered to be the leading bean-counting product
on the market today" is exactly the sort of thing I consider a
_misuse_ of the passive voice. In this case, it does matter to the
reader _who_ considers it such: does this mean the editor of _PC
Week_ loved it? Does it mean it sold more copies than any other
bean-counting software? Or does it just mean that the XYZ Inc. marketing
department is thrilled with its latest product? If I'm considering
buying a bean-counter, I might be influenced by the first or second,
but not (if I know what it means) by the third.

Vicki Rosenzweig
vr%acmcr -dot- uucp -at- murphy -dot- com
New York, NY