Re: Jobs Future for Technical Communication

Subject: Re: Jobs Future for Technical Communication
From: Laurie Rubin <lmr -at- SYL -dot- NJ -dot- NEC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 1994 10:29:47 -0500

I agree with you that working as a W-2 for a consulting firm is not all that
bad. I don't have the time to market myself nor the wide variety of business
contacts compared to that of marketing or accounts reps in 30 different
consulting firms.

Since I work primarily in the office (especially now that my
husband needs to use the computer during the day), and look for contracts
close to home (currently, 10 minutes), I don't have very many deductions.
Plus, the one year I did go 1099, I also had to pay both ends of social
security (my own and the employer's), and that is a whopping 15% compared to
7.5%. Plus, on a W-2 you don't have to deal with estimated taxes on a
quarterly basis.

I seem to go through a different consulting firm in New Jersey almost every
time
I change contracts, but all have been good about sticking with whatever
agreement we initially made and sending me my paychecks.

True, I am paid hourly, so no benefits, but at least a paycheck has been, in
general, consistently coming in every two weeks for many years.

Laurie

suggest is a great idea for those who want to be