Re: Computer Dictionary

Subject: Re: Computer Dictionary
From: Joyce & Cordell Woods <jfwoods -at- MAROON -dot- TC -dot- UMN -dot- EDU>
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 1994 13:55:28 -0500

In message Chani Sacharen writes:
> Can anyone recommend a good computer dictionary? Suggestions for both
> on-line or printed dictionaries are welcome.

I recommend the IBM Dictionary of Computing, tenth edition (August 1993),
McGraw-Hill ISBN 0-07-031489-6. Being an IBM document, it is slanted toward
their products, but otherwise I find it very complete. List price in the US is
$24.95 in paperback. Claims to have 18,000 entries.

If you can afford it, get the IEEE Encylopedia of Computer Science, third
edition (1993), IEEE Press ISBN 0-442-27679-6. I think the price (US) is about
$125 to non-members of IEEE. This is an *encylopedia*, NOT a dictionary. It
contains not just *definitions*, rather complete articles with in depth analysis
of who, what, when, how, and why. Also has lots of history. Claims to have
over 700 entries (articles).

Another book I recommend is the McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Scientific and
Technical Terms. We have the second edition, 1978 (there probably is a new
edition by now). ISBN 0-07-045258-X. This is a dictionary covering many fields
of science, including computer related terms. We paid $75 for it several years
ago. Claims to have 108,000 entries.

I do not know if any of these are available online.

Cordell

Joyce F. Woods & J.Cordell Woods / Consultants
Cactus Software & Communications, Inc.
3151 Main Street NE; Blaine MN 55449-6112
voice 612/757-6916 fax 612/757-4515 email jfwoods -at- maroon -dot- tc -dot- umn -dot- edu