Re: Copyediting tests for employment

Subject: Re: Copyediting tests for employment
From: WandaJane Phillips <wandajp -at- ANDYNE -dot- ON -dot- CA>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 1994 21:45:22 GMT

In article <199412010513 -dot- VAA21915 -at- netcom15 -dot- netcom -dot- com>
"Katharine Y. Flight" <kflight -at- netcom -dot- com> writes:

> 2) If you have administered one of these tests, did you find them
> useful in screening candidates? Are there particular areas of
> subject matter or skills that you look for or consider most
> valuable? Do you use them routinely in hiring, or only for
> certain positions or assignments?

we experimented with a writing/editing test during our last search... I
designed the test in conjunction with HR and our best editor. I found
that the writing part went much better than the editing test. We asked
the candidates to write laundry instructions for a college student
leaving home for the first time.

with the editing test we gave them a clumsy draft, a copy of the
corporate standards (very slim) and asked them to edit according to our
standards. We had the editor whiz give us a benchmark time, and we
intended to compare the time results with the *hits*. It took
_everyone_ so long to read the standards that nobody did very well. We
decided that next time we will just ask them to proof a short text...
never mind the standards.

... waja ...
sitting quiet waiting on the muse, a muse?