Re: Update/apply/synchronize

Subject: Re: Update/apply/synchronize
From: Laurie Rubin <lmr -at- SYL -dot- NJ -dot- NEC -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 1994 14:00:06 -0500

If there is time, I am planning to do further usability testing. The
designer of the windows I just tested did not believe me the first time I told
him that there was going to be confusion, and he was even more surprised when
I told him that the testing confirmed it! The main problem is that the
software is going to be translated into Japanese, so the development opinion
is, what does it matter. I feel that we've got to be clear even in the
English, so that our Japanese partners will have a better understanding of
what we want.

You may be correct that synchronize is just another word that does not relate
to the real action. I still am not certain "Refresh" is any better, but I may
try to convince the designer to use something like
"Apply Changes" and "Get Changes" in two lines.

P.S., is this becoming a tired thread?
Laurie Rubin
lmr -at- syl -dot- nj -dot- nec -dot- com
NEC Systems Laboratory, Inc.
Princeton, NJ 08540
(609) 734-6017