Re: having or to have

Subject: Re: having or to have
From: Rose Wilcox <ncrowe -at- PRIMENET -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 1994 20:15:35 -0700

On Fri, 9 Dec 1994, Gretchen Toth wrote:

> Which sentence do you _prefer_ and why?:

> ...plans are to have all VMS/VAX users of email on the new central unit...

> or

> ...plans include having VMS/VAX users of email on the new central unit...

> Is there a grammatical rule I should be following, or are they both acceptable
> and I can choose which I prefer?

They are both correct grammatically. Is there any way to re-cast the
sentences in to active voice:
"...we plan to serve VMS/VAX email users on the new central unit"
or "VMS/VAX email users will use the new central unit..."

I don't know enough about the context of the sentence to know whether
either of those is correct. Who is planning? What does "have" mean:
store IDs? send messages through? Is the unit a server or what function
does it fill?

As far as whether the plans "are" or whether they "include" I guess
that depends on whether that is the whole of the plans or there are
more plans....

> (Please don't correct the spelling of email, that is the spelling we use)

Even we if correct it, you can still use it... :-)

Rosie
ncrowe -at- primenet -dot- com
rwilc -at- fast -dot- dot -dot- state -dot- az -dot- us
*******
"Half an hour's meditation is essential except
when you are very busy. Then a full hour is needed."
-St. Francis De Sales