Re: Use of M

Subject: Re: Use of M
From: Ray Bruman <rbruman -at- RND -dot- RAYNET -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 1994 11:09:28 PST

> Anyway, I have yet to see M used as 1000 anywhere else. Is this just a
> Delaware thing? Ask your printer.

No, it's a "Western Civilization" thing left over from the Romans.

By the way, am I the only person who's thoroughly sick of seeing
Roman Numerals anywhere except antique clocks?

In my view they have no place in publications, not even in the
"front matter." Especially if they get as high as lviii.

If a page needs numbering, put it in the usual "Arabic" numbers.

Ray Bruman In this establishment,
Raynet Corp. we DO NOT DISCUSS
rbruman -at- raynet -dot- com race, religion, politics,
415-688-2325 or nutrition.