Re: POSSIBLE VIRUS ALERT

Subject: Re: POSSIBLE VIRUS ALERT
From: CJBenz <cjbenz -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 1994 20:15:18 -0500

In article <9412051827 -dot- AA17412 -at- decrsc -dot- datatel -dot- com>, Charles Fisher
<charles -at- datatel -dot- com> writes:

>I just received this message from one of our clients. I don't know
>if it's the real thing or a hoax, but I thought I should pass it on
>just in case.

>> Hey guys, I got this from some friends in the outside world. If
>> you by chance use america online to talk to your parents or friends
>> you might want to be careful.
>>
>> There is a virus on America Online being sent by E-Mail. If you
>> get anything called "Good Times", DON'T read it or download it.
>> It is a virus that will erase your hard drive.

From what I understand, you *cannot* get a virus just by reading e-mail.
You'd have to, for example, download a file attached to that message and
then run it.

For what it's worth, following is the official poop from AOL. Enjoy.

-Chris Benz

Dear Member:

We have received several inquiries over the last couple of days regarding

rumored "virus" in an email message entitled "Good Times." We thought it
would be best to briefly explain how the mail system works, and what we
know
about the rumored piece of email.

As background, AOL incorporates virus protection throughout the service
and
scans all posted software, text, and sound files in public areas.

We have never had an occurence of a virus being spread through simply
reading
email. It is possible, however, for an attached file to an email to carry

virus that could cause a problem. We cannot scan files in email for
viruses
as we do with files in public areas of the service since email represents
private electronic communication. In order for the virus to spread to your
computer, you would have to proactively select the attached file and
download
it to your hard drive. It is therefore advisable never to download
attached
files from an unknown sender.

While there has been quite a bit of rumor regarding this "Good Times"
piece
of mail, AOL has not been able to confirm a single incident of a
subscriber
receiving this mail, or any subscriber getting a virus through e-mail.
Given
the nature of the rumor, if you do receive mail entitled "Good Times", we
would advise that you avoid downloading any file that is attached with
this
title.

If you ever receive a file in email that you believe could cause problems,
please forward it immediately to TOSADVISOR, and explain your concerns.
Meanwhile we will keep you posted should we receive any additional
information.

Warm Regards,
America Online