Re: Connected millions

Subject: Re: Connected millions
From: Elna -dot- Tymes -at- SYNTEX -dot- COM
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 1994 11:18:05 PDT

In article <9412081533 -dot- AA14688 -at- syl -dot- nj -dot- nec -dot- com>, <lmr -at- syl -dot- nj -dot- nec -dot- com> writes:

> We write alot of sentences in this thread (including me) with "to" at the
end
> and I am not sure that this is grammatically correct. Excuse the ignorance,
> but in my business writings I try to avoid writing a similar sentence. Is
> ending a sentence with "to" what is called a dangling participle?
> Laurie

ARRRRRGGGGHHHHHH!

"alot" is not a word!! There is a legitimate word "allot," and there is the
descriptor "a lot" (meaning 'a whole bunch' usually of something), but there is
not "alot." As technical writers, we should zealously guard against misuse of
the language this way!

<end of fume>

No, it's not correct to end a sentence with a preposition, and "to" is a
preposition. Methinks Sir Richard had a domestic emergency at hand when he was
writing that - usually he's *much* more precise!

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems