Re: Connected millions

Subject: Re: Connected millions
From: Jan Boomsliter <boom -at- CADENCE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 1994 15:44:11 -0800

I know, I know (groan), and I hate that it's because of our sloth.

(Heaven knows engineers love to make up words and terms every two
seconds, and jargon does have its place, but engineers are not the
arbiters of what is good usage.)

I'm talking about misuse of the language. Misspellings are passed down
through generations, non-words aren't even noticed, and bad language
becomes accepted. Building language through usage should add to its
richness, not just add on made-up stuff because we are too lazy to look
up or even use what we know is already there.

As professional writers we must be caretakers of the language.

We Do Not Promulgate Errors.

(Well! that's more than you asked for, isn't it?)

By the way, there are a "whole bunch" of made-up words out there that have
become "real words," especially in the software industry.
Laurie
lmr -at- syl -dot- nj -dot- nec -dot- com