Re: insert pages for updating manuals

Subject: Re: insert pages for updating manuals
From: Jan Boomsliter <boom -at- CADENCE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 1994 16:24:34 -0800

What I see is that companies are putting docs on line and continually
updating them. It's up to the reader to print, or not, so the format
has to do double-duty. Change packages are
definitely out. Print books are updated and published when the service
reps. can no longer stand the questions.

You're not going to like hearing this, but my experience is that change
packages pile up in the corner and collect dust. Those who do open
them glance through, but don't swap out their familiar, annotated
pages. Inserting correctly is not the problem. The only people I've
dealt with who actually have updated docs are those who keep the
library, and/or hand them off to someone else to do the actual inserts
(usually secretaries, who have no problem with the instructions).

I (and probably others) am also interested in responses to Kelly's "insert
pages" questions. I'd appreciate it if responders posted to the list.

Dick Harris
usrhr -at- chroma -dot- millipore -dot- com