Re: Prepositions--ending sentences therewith

Subject: Re: Prepositions--ending sentences therewith
From: John Holland <uunet!robcad!john -at- UUNET -dot- UU -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 1994 13:07:03 +0200

I can't resist contributing the below to this thread. The King James
Version of the Bible, first two editions published in 1611, quotes
Jesus as saying (John 4:32):

I have meat to eat that ye know not of.

That's not the only place in the KJV where a preposition ends a sentence.
But the KJV to the contrary notwithstanding, I don't allow that
practice in my department. And "data" is plural, and infinitives are
not split, and....

Incidentally, with regard to the professionalism of our profession,
I have yet to meet a technical writer in Israel, with mother tongue
English, who knows (or knew before he/she/it met me) what a "split
infinitive" is.

John Holland, Herzliya, Israel uunet!robcad!john