Re: Prepositions--ending sentences therewith

Subject: Re: Prepositions--ending sentences therewith
From: Rosie <ncrowe -at- PRIMENET -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 1994 11:16:31 -0700

On Thu, 15 Dec 1994, Steve Fouts wrote:

> In all other writing, I refuse to kowtow to the perverse beliefs of
> dead poets.
I like this. Is it okay if I keep it as a quote?

I have been meaning to bring the book I have been reading about
language to work so I can quote it in this thread. I'm sorry I
haven't achieved that yet, but I want to make a point about language.
I am sorry, there is *no* right or wrong use of language. Even
what we consider "proper" English is a dialect. It just happens
to be the dialect of those in power.

It is helpful to have standards that are generally agreed on
for wider communication, so we use the dialect we call proper
English. Although there is no right or wrong, it seems some
usages are more or less effective. As a tech. writer, I strive
for the most effective, geared towards my audience.

If that includes using a preposition at the end of a sentence,
I will. If that includes rewriting a sentence to avoid it,
I will. And I believe in using contractions in User Guides!

Have at me!

Rosie (NorthCrowe)
ncrowe -at- primenet -dot- com
rwilc -at- fast -dot- dot -dot- state -dot- az -dot- us
*******
"Half an hour's meditation is essential except
when you are very busy. Then a full hour is needed."
-St. Francis De Sales