Re: That and Which--is it

Subject: Re: That and Which--is it
From: Marilynne Smith <m -dot- smith182 -at- GENIE -dot- GEIS -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 1994 18:06:00 UTC

Once you have the distinction down between *that* and *which* you will find
that you appreciate it. The words flow smoothly and the ideas are stronger.
In this case, I think the reader does get the meaning, though perhaps not
as clearly as you and I. I try to make the distinction in my own writing,
remembering that Fowler doesn't say the use of *which* is incorrect, only
that using *that* in the case of a clause that restricts is preferable.

As to my reviewers, I have on occasion reminded them that I am the expert on
editorial matters and their expertise lies in the technical area. People
who teach writing to technical professions are often more concerned about
teaching writing, not editorial skills.

Marilynne
m -dot- smith182 -at- genie -dot- geis -dot- com