Modem Speeds

Subject: Modem Speeds
From: "William J. Hartzer" <William -dot- Hartzer -at- EMC2-TAO -dot- FISC -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 1994 15:54:00 EST

Mike Uhl writes:

"It's hard to imagine why anyone is still using a 2400 baud modem to access
online information..."

Mike, I know it's hard to believe, but some of us are cost-conscient: I
bought my 2400 baud fax/modem several years ago (1988) and don't see any need
to upgrade to something faster. "If ain't broken, don't fix it." Besides,
why would I want to upgrade to a faster modem when they charge more if I have
a faster modem; and it would cost me more money if I were to junk the 2400
baud modem and buy a new one.

If I were to buy a new modem (of course, if my 2400 baud modem was broken), I
certainly would buy the fastest modem possible for the least amount of money
(the best deal). As long as they (online services) continue to provide access
for 2400 baud users, I will continue to use my 2400 baud fax/modem. Since I
don't spend more then, say, a couple of hours' time on-line a month, I don't
see why it's worth it at this point.

But again, who knows how much longer the on-line services will continue to
provide access for us 2400 baud'ers?

Bill Hartzer
Technical Writer, Fischer International Systems Corporation
Naples, Florida USA