Re: Modem Speeds

Subject: Re: Modem Speeds
From: "Arlen P. Walker" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 1994 17:25:00 -0500

Besides, why would I want to upgrade to a faster modem when they charge
more if I have a faster modem;

That's an artifact of the service you're using. Mine doesn't charge based on
modem speed (even telnet access is the same hourly rate). But other than that, I
agree with you, Bill. I've got things I need much more than a faster modem (like
a new printer, more Hard drive space, a bigger monitor, a PowerPC upgrade,
etc.).

But again, who knows how much longer the on-line services will continue
to provide access for us 2400 baud'ers?

Probably forever, as the modems remain compatible with the lower speeds. I
confess I haven't tried it, but I'd believe you could still get in at 300 baud
if you wanted.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 24