Our Windowmacher, right or wrong

Subject: Our Windowmacher, right or wrong
From: Mark Levinson <mark -at- SD -dot- CO -dot- IL>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 1994 09:03:51 IST

Should you decide not to conform to [Microsoft's]
"rules," you no longer will be allowed to state on product packaging
or documentation that you are compatible with their operating system
(should you get caught, anyways)!

** If your product is compatible with Microsoft's, I doubt that Microsoft
can prevent you from telling the truth. They can, of course, prevent
you from reproducing a graphical trademark that means Microsoft itself
confirms the compatibility.

And while the R mark after Microsoft means that Microsoft is a registered
trademark, the TM sign after Windows means only that Microsoft Corporation
unilaterally claims Windows as trademark. Microsoft actually tried and
failed to register Windows as a trademark, though I believe they haven't
given up their attempts to get the word protected.

Nonetheless, Microsoft's commercial clout extends far beyond its
minimal legal rights, and if you enjoy any form of cooperation with
Microsoft you would naturally want to keep them happy...

Mark L. (not for Lawyer) Levinson
mark -at- sd -dot- co -dot- il