Re: Basic rules of technical writing

Subject: Re: Basic rules of technical writing
From: Sally Marquigny <SALLYM -at- MSMAILHQ -dot- NETIMAGE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 1994 14:47:00 PST

What good is an understandable but technically *incorrect* piece of
documentation? Rule 4 should be Rule 1! (I'll let the rest of you figure
out the rankings of the rest of 'em. Then again, maybe it's not linear at
all...)

Sally Marquigny Network Imaging Systems
sallym -at- msmailhq -dot- netimage -dot- com Herndon, VA
----------
From: TECHWR-L
To: Multiple recipients of list TECHWR-L
Date: Wednesday, December 21, 1994 7:45AM

> The Golden Rules of Writing
> 1. Make it understandable.
> 2. Make it consistent, unless that interferes with Rule 1.
> 3. Make it grammatically correct, unless that interferes with Rule 1 or 2.
> 4. Make it technically correct, unless that interferes with Rule 1, 2, or
> 3.
> Chris Benz
> Author, Technical Writer, Computer Trainer
> 6229438 -at- mcimail -dot- com

Hi, Chris. I liked your Golden Rules until I got to rule 3. This
seems to allow the writing to be consistently, grammatically
INCORRECT. Why not make it grammatically correct, then
consistent?

Beverly Parks
bparks -at- huachuca-emh1 -dot- army -dot- mil