since vs. because

Subject: since vs. because
From: Lisa Steinberg <aa075 -at- SEORF -dot- OHIOU -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 1994 16:45:24 -0500

From my "Little Brown Handbook":

*Since* is often used to mean "because": *Since you ask, I'll tell you.*
Its primary meaning, however, relates to time: *I've been waiting since
noon.* To avoid confusion, some writers prefer to use *since* only in
contexts involving time. If you do use *since* in both senses, watch out
for ambiguous constructions, such as *Since you left, my life is empty*,
where *since* could mean either "because" or "ever since."

I stick to making sure I use "since" only when I'm writing in reference
to some time-frame. If someone else would like to share a reference to
this issue as they can find in any of the style guides out there (I don't
have any guides of my own...yet), feel free to do so!

lisa
:)

* lisa steinberg :) *
* Grantswriter for Rural Action *
* A non-profit sustainable community development *
* organization based in: *
* Athens, Ohio *
* aa075 -at- seorf -dot- ohiou -dot- edu *
* Volunteer in Service to America and proud of it! *