Re: Indexes - Printed vs. On-line

Subject: Re: Indexes - Printed vs. On-line
From: Jan Bates <bates -at- KINGFISH -dot- ATT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 1994 15:09:00 GMT

Bob Morisette wrote;

Why does a printed index "outshine" an on-line index?
My original question that helped start the _Reasons for on-line_ thread
was - why should a printed index be different than an on-line index?
So far, no one has answered this question.

The on-line index can have hypertext links to the page numbers, which
gives you instant access to the reference. Again, why should they be
different, except that one is on paper and one on the screen?

The answer of course is that they should not be different. The
interesting question is "Why are they?". Until on-line information
is indexed as well (as densely?) as paper information, I'll stick to
the printed manual.

Jan
Jan Bates - Documentation Consultant Voice: 908 949-2311
ADSS - AT&T Bell Labs Fax: 908 949-4001
Holmdel NJ e-mail: bates -at- kingfish -dot- att -dot- com