Re: Indexes - Printed vs. On-line

Subject: Re: Indexes - Printed vs. On-line
From: Romay Jean Sitze <rositze -at- NMSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 1994 14:21:29 -0700

I think Karen is on track with this one.

> I think a lot of 'reading'. . . has to do with pattern recognition.

Most of the research I've done in this area suggests that pattern
recognition is a major factor affecting our ability to read. Even with
Wysiwg, on-screen resolution leaves a lot to be desired. This may also be
a factor for those who say that with time and experience their ability to
edit online has improved. > One of the things that drove me nuts on my
last project was line > spacing--I ended up printing everything several
times because I could > either check the line spacing (using full-page
print preview) or I > could check for types by using magnfication, but I
couldn't do both at > the same time, which I *could* do with paper. > >

I know that one of the reasons I like to edit from a printout at least
once or twice before printing a final draft is that I am better able to
see the relationship between the parts and the whole this way. As Karen
points out, our view-scope is limited to segments at a time on screen.
With paper, I can spread out, rearrange, and see what I am doing more
efficiently. I work with the document on screen at the same time. When I
need to write comments, I do it on line, but seeing the paper helps me to
determine that need.

I have even gone so far as to cut a document into sections or even
paragraphs and re-sort them until I am satisfied. Then I do a cut and
paste on screen, adding new transitions and modifying the text as needed
to get the desired result. This approach works for me. I don't, of
course, make any claims for anyone else.

RoMay Sitze rositze -at- nmsu -dot- edu

...all our finest art pales before the beauty of a single
shining star. --anonymous--