e-mail or email or E-Mail?

Subject: e-mail or email or E-Mail?
From: Beverly Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH1 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 1994 07:14:11 MST

This must have been a topic well-discussed before I joined the
list. I was glad to see it just so I can relay what I get to
deal with where I work.

The powers that be insist on abbreviating electronic mail as
"E-Mail"--yes, with capital letters. I explain every chance I
get, to whoever will listen, that there is no reason to
capitalize it--it is not a proper noun or product name, etc. But
the Army is very structured and if somebody at a higher level
doesn't know any better and says "electronic mail will be
abbreviated as such," then everyone below him/her just blindly
follows.

It just drives me nuts. I personally refuse to do it
their way in any of my documents. If someone makes a big enough
stink, I simply spell it out rather than abbreviate it
incorrectly.

Beverly Parks
bparks -at- huachuca-emh1 -dot- army -dot- mil