Re: Health Insurance for Contractors

Subject: Re: Health Insurance for Contractors
From: Ellen Adams <ellena -at- TOLSTOY -dot- SC -dot- TI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 1994 09:30:47 CST

HI OTHER TECH WRITING CONTRACTORS:

We all know how important insurance is. But the recent comments
regarding independent insurance is frightening.

Kat Nobische said:

<<I am currently insured with Central Reserve, and I pay $172 per month
for my two daughters and myself (I am 37). I have a $1000 deductible,
so I am basically paying for all sniffles, flu bugs, etc., but am
covered if one of the kids were to break a leg or if something
catastrophic were to happen. This plan has a $10 copay per office
visit, and a $5 drug card, where you pay either 5% or $5, whichever is
greatest for each prescription drug.>>

I feel like I'm getting ripped off. I got five quotes from various folks, and
finally
went with Insight Answer, which is charging me $383.50 per month
for myself, my husband and one child of three. The deductible
is $500; and it's an HMO $10 copay deal.

I don't have to tell you my hourly rate for you to be able to figure
that that premium amount eats a *big* chunk of my monthly change.

I guess I should ask other folks on the list: is Kat's figure of
$172 typical? Does living in Houston make a big difference? The
lowest quote I got was $282, the highest, $416.

Ellen Adams
ellena -at- tolstoy -dot- sc -dot- ti -dot- com
under contract to:
Texas Instruments
Houston, TX