Re: Health Insurance for Contractors

Subject: Re: Health Insurance for Contractors
From: "Doug, Data Librarian at Ext 4225" <engstromdd -at- PHIBRED -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 1995 12:02:44 -0600

Gwen:

AAAAGGHHH!!!

Why did you do that? I know from bitter personal experience that there is
absolutely no point in discussing your national health plan with doctriaire
conservatives. Once you're convinced that all your wealth is a result
solely of your own effort, determination and ability (with a slight nod to
the mysterious workings of the Free Market) and that any requirement to
fund common social projects constitutes an attempt by your
social/intellectual/genetic inferiors to get fat at your expense, there's
no real point to the discussion. Our mysterious (at least to me)
conservative health-care rantor clearly falls into this category, as may
(to my embarrasment) a clean majority of voters in my congressional
district.

Anyway, the sight of a reasonably efficient, functioning, government-run
system, particularly in a country that is socially and demographically
similar to the U.S., just makes them foam at the mouth and try to prove
that it doesn't exist. The list is going to be innundated with tales of
test delays in Nova Scotia and anesthesiologist shortages at Thunder Bay
(the two most widely-reported horror stories in the US media) and it's
going to be *your fault*. :)

Skoal,

Doug "Farm policy, although it's complex,
ENGSTROMDD -at- phibred -dot- com can be explained. What it can't be
is believed."
- P.J. O'Rourke

The preceding opinions and positions are mine alone, and are only
coincidentally related to those of Pioneer Hi-Bred International, Inc.

Hi there:

I know you are interested in U.S. figures, but I just couldn't resist:

Those of us fortunate enough to write in Canada have health coverage paid for
in our taxes. Yes, our taxes are high. No, we don't get bankrupted when illness
strikes our families.

Add this to your summation, if you wish. I can understand if you avoid this
topic, however...

Gwen (ggall -at- ca -dot- oracle -dot- com)