Writing books

Subject: Writing books
From: jhedtke -at- OZ -dot- NET
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 1995 23:01:59 PDT

Well, our listowner has graciously given his blessing on this discussion (thank

you, Eric), so let me kick this off with a couple of things.

I've written 11 books now with 5 publishers: Osborne/McGraw-Hill, Peachpit
Press, MIS: Press, Ventana Press, and Rutledge Hill Press. 10 have been
computer books (and one general book, "Washington Trivia"). I've been pretty
happy with all of these publishers. The books have had varying financial
success, gotten good reviews, and generally won awards in STC competitions. I
strongly prefer not to use agents, preferring to do things on my own and not
pay anyone the 15%.

I like writing books. It beats making an honest living, I always say (joke!).

I'd like to discuss publishers, marketing, and so on with anyone else on the
list. Who have you dealt with? Who did you like? Who didn't you like? What
do you think the directions are for doing books?

Yours Truly,

John Hedtke