Re: The Covert Interview

Subject: Re: The Covert Interview
From: Mike Christie <mikec -at- LUNA -dot- SYNTEL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 1995 09:02:54 -0800

> And, of course, my worst nightmare is when the developer is reviewing my
> document and, while explaining how something works, says "'The discombobulator
> regurgitates the part of the prefix to some other portion of disk space.'
> That's the perfect sentence for this explanation. Write it just like that."
> That's when I'd like to say "I'll leave the code to you if you leave the
> text to me."

I was in a meeting going over a new, fairly complicated, feature. At the
end of the meeting the manager looked at me and said, "You'll put it in
the manual just as it appears in her spec, right?" The developer muttered
something to the effect of "I hope not!"

By the time I was done reworking the spec into a form suitable for
customer consumption everyone seemed happy with the result. (And I'm sure
the developer was pleased that I didn't keep her spelling errors,
awkward sentence structure, and poorly organized paragraphs.)

Mike Christie
Technical Writer
Syntelligence Systems, Inc.
mikec -at- syntel -dot- com