Re: moderate techwr-l?

Subject: Re: moderate techwr-l?
From: Howard Kaikow <kaikow -at- STANDARDS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 1995 21:51:47 GMT

Ideally, moderation could benefit all, but then who is to do it, who is
to pay for that person's time? If proper, moderation takes an awful lot
of time.

One of the goals of usenet is free flow of information. Moderation is
most effective in very narrowly focused groups. This group is too wide
open for moderation to be effective at a reasonable cost.

Every open group is going to have off the topic postings. Just ignore them.
Don't waste bandwidth acknowledging or debating them. This is one
advantage a newsgroup has over a newslist. I can very quickly scan
newsgroups for articles I wish to ignore, it's more difficult and
expensive with email.