Re: Safety & Tech Manuals.

Subject: Re: Safety & Tech Manuals.
From: Karla McMaster <mcmaster%pcmail -dot- cti-pet -dot- com -at- CTI-PET -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 1995 15:43:16 EST

Rick Lippincott asked about creeping "warningism," where almost every page of
the documentation (hardware or software) is covered with warnings and cautions.

> Is this becoming common? Is there anything we can do about it? And, is it
> creeping into software documentation as well?

I'm seeing a beginning of that trend, here, in both our hardware and software
documentation. That's because we make a medical scanning device (similar to CT,
but a different technology), and the FDA is on our case. As with every semi-
bureaucratic office, our safety people err on the side of cautiousness, and the
manuals are becoming increasingly filled with warnings, though not to the point
of making the manuals unreadable, I think.

Karla McMaster, technical writer
CTI PET Systems, Inc., Knoxville, TN
mcmaster -at- cti-pet -dot- com