Cloud? Firewall?

Subject: Cloud? Firewall?
From: KnoxML1 <KnoxML1 -at- TEOMAIL -dot- JHUAPL -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 1995 15:55:26 EST

A question
A colleague recently showed me a page from a conference proceedings and asked
a question I had no answer to. Maybe you can help us. The excerpt (quoted in
the proceedings paper for a third source):

Core Internet--the cloud of computers connected directly to the Internet
(i.e., not behind a firewall). These can access and deliver all Internet
services....

and also:

Consumer Internet--the cloud of computers connected to the Internet
through a firewall. These can access all Internet services, but, except
for mail, cannot supply them.

Is *cloud* of computers standard computer terminlogy? Does it mean a bunch of
computers? What is a *firewall* in this context?

Thanks for your help

Margaret Knox, tech writer/editor
JHU applied physics Laboratory
margaret_knox -at- jhuapl -dot- edu