Re: Cloud? Firewall?

Subject: Re: Cloud? Firewall?
From: Stephen Bernhardt <sbernhar -at- NMSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 1995 19:54:43 -0700

We're talking metaphorically here. Cloud is nice, but I am not sure why
clouds. Firewall, of course, separates people from hot areas. I'd rather
be in a cloud than need a firewall.

The point is that the insiders have a direct fiber optic link to the net
with wide bandwidth so they can get a reasonably fast transfer rate and
enjoy the net and all it has to offer, including www, the world wide web
and its graphical files. People on prodigy and aol and the others have a
very limited set of options, they are insulated from many of the exciting
goings on, both because they lack graphical interfaces (mosaic, netscape,
etc) and because their choices are limited by what the commercial
designers think the public wants, a sort of mass cult of the net.