Re: MACINTOSH-BASED HELP SYSTEMS

Subject: Re: MACINTOSH-BASED HELP SYSTEMS
From: Sharon Toll <SHARONT -at- LEONARDO -dot- LMT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 1995 08:52:44 CST6CDT

The jury is still out, but I am investigating on-line help applications for
cross-platform use. Those under consideration are:

E-Help by Foundation Solutions (919-481-3517)

Acrobat Reader by Adobe (you can download a Reader and sample files from
ftp.adobe.com
directories: /pub/adobe/Applications/Acrobat and
/pub/adobe/Acrobat/PDFsamples)

QuickHelp by Altura (408-665-8005)

Things to consider: whether there is a charge for redistribution of the
reader, what type of files will the application convert (graphics and text),
non-english language support.

You can contact me directly (sharont -at- leonardo -dot- lmt -dot- com) to further discuss
advantages/disadvantages if you're interested.

----------original messages-------------------------------------------------

In article <9501092154 -dot- AA07795 -at- dtint -dot- dtint -dot- com>
"D. Philipp Binggeli" <dee -at- dtint -dot- dtint -dot- com> writes:

> Is anybody else out there writing for Macintosh-based software? If so, is
> anyone currently using Apple guide to create on-screen help? Or, if you
are
> using pre-System 7.5 systems, what are you using, and how are you using
it?

(WandaJane Phillips reply)

We are working on a cross-platform help solution. The Mac is an
expensive solution, but we've settled on Apple Guide as the source
document. We built a utility that converts the Apple Guide help to
Microsoft help files that we can then run on both platforms. I'm still
*investigating* Microsoft help on the Mac.

... waja ...

samsara and nirvana are spelled the same in the end

Sharon Toll LaserMaster Corporation
<sharont -at- leonardo -dot- lmt -dot- com> Eden Prairie, Minnesota